Jessica M. Erlingis
Duke University, Civil and Environmental Department
160 Hudson Hall, Box 90287
Durham, NC 27708
Work phone: (919) 660-5557
Extreme events, flash flooding, flood modeling and prediction
- Duke University, Durham, NC
Ph.D. in Environmental Engineering Expected 2015
- University of Oklahoma, Norman, OK
B.S. in Meteorology, summa cum laude May 2010
Minors: Mathematics, Spanish
Honors Thesis: “Improvements in Flash Flood Prediction Using a Hydrologic Model”
- American Meteorological Society Graduate Fellowship August 2010 – May 2011
- J.B. Duke Fellowship, Duke University September 2010 – May 2014
- Pratt-Gardner Fellowship, Duke University June 2011 – June 2012
- Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society May 2010 – Present
- Howard T. Orville Endowed Scholarship in Meteorology August 2009 – May 2010
- Outstanding Performance as an Undergraduate, School of Meteorology April 2010
- American Meteorological Society Freshman Scholarship August 2006 – May 2008
- Cooperative Institute for Mesoscale Meteorological Studies / National Severe Storms Laboratory
Undergraduate Research Assistant May 2008 – July 2010
Participated as a student caller in the Severe Hazards Analysis and Verification Experiment. Conducted research in evaluating operational techniques for forecasting flash floods.
Publications and Conference Presentations
- Gourley, J. J., J. M. Erlingis, T. M. Smith, K. L. Ortega, and Y. Hong, 2010: Remote collection and analysis of witness reports on flash floods. J. Hydrol., (in press) (special issue on Flash Flood: Observations and Analysis of Hydrometeorological Controls).
- Meyer, T.C., J.M. Erlingis, and K.L. Ortega, 2010, Comparing radar signatures to high-resolution hail reports. 90th AMS Annual Meeting. Atlanta, GA, Amer. Meteor. Soc., 396.
- Erlingis, J. M. and J.J. Gourley, 2009: Evaluating the Tool Used to Issue Flash Flood Warnings in the US. 34th Conference on Radar Meteorology, Williamsburg, VA, Amer. Meteor. Soc., 8B.3.
- Erlingis, J.M., J. J. Gourley, T. M. Smith, and K. L. Ortega, 2009: Development of a detailed database of flash flood observations. 89th AMS Annual Meeting. Phoenix, AZ, Amer. Meteor. Soc., JP2.8.
IDL, C, Word, Excel, Powerpoint, ArcGIS
American Meteorological Society